Wednesday 10 April 2013

Withnail & I



Welcome to my 52nd review! That's right, my blog officially celebrates it's 1st birthday as of this day. So, as with my very first review, I thought long and hard about which movie to look at, and as I did with my incipient review, I decided to look at one of my favourite movies. But whereas my first review was of one of my favourite serious films (Leon) today's review is going to be of one of my favourite comedies. To commemorate my Blog turning 1 year old, I am going to critique one of the most revered comedies in history, the 1987 laugh-riot Withnail & I.

Directed and written by Bruce Robinson, and starring Richard E. Grant (in his film debut), Paul McGann and Richard Griffiths, Withnail & I follows the exploits of 2 unemployed actors as they take a holiday in the country, finding it less peaceful and therapeutic than they had expected. In the 25 years since it's release it has graced practically every 'Greatest Comedy' list every conceived. So for this extra special review, let's find out why.

The film opens in Camden Town, in the closing months of 1969, where we find our 2 protagonists, Withnail (Grant), a volatile, acerbic, outspoken alcoholic, and 'I' (McGann), an anxiety-prone, unpublished writer, and the films narrator. Both of these characters are struggling actors living in a squalid flat, drowning their abject misery with copious volumes of drink and drugs. I has recently had an audition, which Withnail has not had for several months. Withnail is unhappy with how his career has progressed, but blames others for his failings, fabricating stories to make himself seem more successful, and denouncing others who have done better than him, citing reasons such as favouritism and unfair advantage.

Fed up with their monotonous lives, they decide to head North to Penrith, and spend some time in the country in order to 'rejuvinate'. They obtain they keys to a country cottage owned by Withnail's flamboyantly homosexual Uncle Monty (Griffiths), and head off to begin their holiday. Unfortunately, it turns out to be a disaster. While the scenery is beautiful, the weather is unpleasant, they have little supplies, the cottage is run-down, and the locals are rude, uninviting, and in the case of 'Jake the Poacher', hostile.

Prepared to give up and head back to the London, Uncle Monty pays them an unexpected visit. He brings with him a plentiful supply of food and booze. But, much to I's dismay, he also brings his insatiable lust for him, resulting in a wealth of tension and discomfort.

From this relatively simple set-up comes one of the funniest films ever to grace the silver screen. Not a financial success in it's day, Withnail & I quickly became a cult classic, and rightly so. The film slays me every time. The scenarios, the characters, but above all, the dialogue. I adore the screenplay. If you asked a fan of this film to describe it in 1 words, chances are the word they would pick is 'Quotable'. The only other comedy I can think of that has so many recitable lines is The Big Lebowski. Nearly every single line (particularly from Withnail) has become a kind of catchphrase; it's like the 'Dead Parrot Sketch' of movies. 'I'm gonna pull your head off', 'We are multimillionaires', 'We want the finest wines available to humanity, and of course,  'I demand to have some booze!' Grant's portrayal of Withnail is just perfect. Apparently before this movie Grant was teetotal, but Robinson insisted he get drunk and experience a hangover in order to get into character. The way Withnail is constantly struggling with his own unfulfilling life and career while simultaneously piling the blame on everybody else for his shortcoming is irresistible, and makes for some of the funniest and most farcical scenes in cinematic history.

McGann's role as I is also fantastic. It's almost impossible to explain how the 2 are friends, and I's connection to Withnail is very much akin to the friend that everyone had growing up. You know the one who you don't really like but you hang out with because you are terrified of what they might do if you don't. Firecracker Friends as Russel Howard described it.

Watching this film is like watching an Oscar Wilde play. It's so ludicrous, so wild, so farsical and so over-the-top that's it's impossible not to enjoy it. I've seen it countless times and I laugh just as hard each time. See it now, it will have you in tears, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment